PrimePutt is rapidly growing in popularity for making one of the premium putting mats on the market.
The key question though – is this mat REALLY worth the heftier price tag? I tested the PrimePutt putting mat for a couple of weeks (along with a few others, that you can see in the video at the bottom of this article) to see if it’s as good as people are claiming it it.
I’ll dive into what I like and dislike about the PrimePutt putting mat. My goal is to give you enough information so that you can make an informed decision on whether or not to buy this putting mat.
Before getting into the pros and cons of the PrimePutt mat, let’s do a brief overview of it.
Table of Contents
Overall Rating and Thoughts
I liked the PrimePutt putting mat so much that I gave it an 8 out of 10 rating (the highest score out of the 3 putting mats I tested). My favorite feature of this practice green is the material. It really does feel like real grass, which provides you with a more realistic roll on each of your practice putts.
My second favorite feature of the PrimePutt mat is the overall flatness. It’s pretty impressive how flat this practice mat lays on the ground right out of the box. There aren’t any annoying bumps or air pockets to deal with, which is also a plus.
To keep this practice mat nice and flat, I highly recommend using some double-sided carpet tape around the edges of it. This will keep it from bowing in any kind of way.
Oh, and don’t forget about the unique cup design. Each time you make a putt, the golf ball naturally moves toward the back of the cup. This means that you can hole up to 4 putts in a row without having to empty each cup. With 3 cups on 1 end, you’ll get more time to practice your stroke instead of having to constantly retrieve your golf balls.
One of the downsides to the practice mat I tried was the size. The 3 x 9 just isn’t quite as large as I would like, especially for working on my putts from long range. So, if you want to give the PrimePutt mat a shot, I’d order either the 3 x 12 or the 3 x 15 size.
I also found a solution for the annoying flagstick problem. These things constantly slide out of the backing plate, which can be painful when setting up the cups. I used some SuperGlue on each of them, and it worked like a charm.
Overall, the PrimePutt is the best of the 3 practice mats that I reviewed. Its 2 competitors aren’t terrible options, but the PrimePutt mat really outclasses them in material and flatness. Setting up the PrimePutt putting mat is also quick and relatively painless.
Whether you’re a hardcore golfer looking to lower your overall handicap or just a weekend warrior that wants to putt a little bit for fun during the winter months, you can’t go wrong with the PrimePutt practice mat. Give it a shot, you won’t be disappointed!
Watch my review comparing the BirdiBall vs PrimePutt vs Wellputt, or click into each putting mat’s written review below:
Quick Overview of The PrimePutt Putting Green
A genuine golf enthusiast started PrimePutt with the goal of giving golfers around the globe the most realistic practice green on the market. The folks at PrimePutt know that no matter how much someone loves to golf, there just isn’t enough time to practice. The PrimePutt practice mat solves that problem!
Thanks to PrimePutt’s premium putting surface and overall impressive design, golfers can now practice their putting on a daily basis. The PrimePutt putting green is a fantastic addition to any home, office, or garage. Being able to work on your putting stroke whenever you have a few minutes of free time is a beautiful thing!
This practice mat also comes in incredibly handy during the cold winter months when practicing outside isn’t a viable option. It’s no secret that most golfers get a little bit rusty during the winter due to a lack of practice time. Thankfully, with a putting tool like the PrimePutt putting mat, golfers can keep that rust to an absolute minimum.
What I Like About The PrimePutt Putting Green
I noticed plenty of excellent features about the PrimePutt practice mat as soon as I took it out of the box. Here is a brief list of the pros of this product.
- Unbelievably Flat: Most putting mats have several air bubbles in them when you first lay them out. That isn’t the case with the PrimePutt mat. It lays flat on the ground as soon as you install it. You won’t have to wait several hours for uneven surfaces to sit flush against the floor.
- Most Realistic Material: Some of the other mats on the market use materials that are too spongy or flimsy. PrimePutt uses a specific type of astroturf that feels incredibly close to natural grass. This makes for a better overall practice experience. The material is also very resilient, so you won’t have to deal with any annoying footprints on the mat. The high-quality turf is about a half-inch thick and grades in the 10-12 range on the stimp meter.
- Get a Pure Roll Every Time: I love how my practice putts roll on this mat. The speed feels just like I’m on a real putting green. This is a massive compliment to the Research & Development team at PrimePutt
- 3 Holes at 1 End: This adds even more convenience. A lot of other practice mats only have 1 hole at the end. That means that once you sink a few putts, there isn’t enough room in the hole for any more golf balls. Having 3 holes instead of 1 alleviates this problem. You’ll spend less time chasing and collecting your golf balls.
- Golf Balls Sits at Back of Cup: Here is another unique feature that other practice mats don’t offer. When you make a putt, the golf ball automatically sits at the back of the cup instead of the front. This means that you’ll get another clear shot at the hole on your next putt.
- Cup Depth: Here’s another important feature that not enough folks talk about. How maddening is it when you hit a perfect putt, and it still doesn’t drop in the hole because that cup is too short? You won’t have to worry about that with the PrimePutt mat. The cups are made from the same plastic that’s used to make cups on a real golf course. Putts that are supposed to drop in the cup will do so without any issues.
What I Don’t Like About The PrimePutt Putting Green
As we often mention when doing reviews, there’s no such thing as a perfect product. Even a highly rated golf training aid like that PrimePutt practice green has some areas that it can improve in. Here’s a short list of what I’d like to see changed.
- It Could be Bigger: To quote the classic movie Roadhouse, “I thought you’d be bigger.” The company sent me a 3 x 9 practice mat to review, and the overall size left a lot to be desired. Because of its small size, I had to stand halfway off the mat for putts aimed at the center or left hole. Thankfully, PrimePutt has remedied this problem because they now offer the mat in 3 x 12 and 3 x 15.
- Flimsy Flagstick: I had quite a few issues with the flagsticks. For one, they’re pretty top-heavy and will fall out of the cup very easily. They also slip out of the backing plates frequently. The company has since taken steps to fix this problem.