I have a vivid memory of the first time I put on a pair of golf shoes. I was a young teenager and my Dad bought me some solid white Footjoy spikes. I didn’t want to sound ungrateful but I did ask him, “Do I really have to wear these?”
Like it or not, most golf shoes are ugly. Is there a reason behind this madness? We take a look at the history behind golf shoes and recommend some better-looking options.
Why Most Golf Shoes are Ugly
Golf is often referred to as a gentleman’s game, so much so that most country clubs and even standard run-of-the-mill “muni” courses have dress codes. At most golf courses, you have to wear proper golf attire like golf shorts and a polo shirt. With all of this emphasis on attire, it’s a bit surprising that most golf shoes are inherently ugly.
The main reason most golf shoes are ugly is that they are built more for function than for fab. Most golf shoe manufacturers know that as a general rule, most golfers care more about durability and stability than about style. Other things like arch support, comfort, and traction are more important to golfers than having stylish golf shoes.
Thankfully, with advances in modern-day technology, golfers no longer have to choose between looking good on the course and functionality. In the next section, we’ll discuss some of the better-looking golf shoes that are on the market today.
8 Stylish Golf Shoe Recommendations
Need a golf shoe that performs well on the course but also looks fashionable. Here’s our list of the most stylish golf shoes for both men and women golfers.
Men’s Golf Shoes
1. Adidas Men’s Tech Response
While brands like Footjoy and Nike are incredibly popular amongst golfers, our top choice for men is the Tech Response from Adidas. These are lightweight and they come in a variety of different color schemes. Golfers can also choose whether they prefer these shoes with screw-on spikes or without.
- Available in lots of stylish color patterns
- The mesh and synthetic materials will hold up well in rainy conditions on the golf course
- High level of breathability to increase your comfort level on hot days
- Decent price point for such a popular brand
2. New Balance Men’s Fresh Foam Contend
These are some of the most comfortable golf shoes on the market. New Balance did a fabulous job of adding some extra cushioning to these golf shoes while also keeping them light as a feather. We highly recommend giving these kicks a try if your current golf shoes leave your feet sore after a round.
- Spikeless shoes that feel incredible, even after 18 holes
- Synthetic soles have a high level of durability
- Insoles are specifically designed to increase comfort and reduce soreness in your feet
- Waterproof membrane has a two-year warranty
- Sleek design that looks great
3. Callaway Men’s Del Mar Sunset
The Callaway Men’s Del Mar Sunset golf shoes are perfect for the old school golfer that liked the saddle oxford style from back in the day. These have the classic saddle shoe look but perform beautifully on the course.
- Made with 100% leather so they are remarkably durable
- Waterproof outsoles so your feet will stay dry in the rain
- Mesh liner is vented to provide maximum breathability
- Made with soft spikes that will bring more stability to your golf swing
4. PUMA Grip Fusion Pro 3.0
Bryson DeChambeau has brought PUMA into the spotlight with the meteoric rise of his PGA Tour career. As its name implies, the Grip Fusion Pro 3.0 provides better grip and more traction than other brands. The rubber soles are comfortable and durable.
- Combination of foam and rubber provides extra cushion and comfort
- Two layers of cushioning provide a better fit and even more durability
- Made with hex traction lugs that will grip any type of surface whether it’s the fairway, sand, or deep rough
- One of the top brands in golf footwear
Women’s Golf Shoes
1. Footjoy Women’s Fj Flex Previous Season Style
Our top choice for women golfers comes from Footjoy, one of the most trusted brands in all of golf. This amazing golf shoe comes in four different color options, including a nice rose pink that lots of women will love. The Footjoy Fj Flex checks all the boxes and we highly recommend it.
- Versa-trax outsole is specifically made for both traction and versatility on the golf course
- Soft midsole provides plenty of comfort and stability, which means your feet will still feel great after 18 holes
- Outer mesh layer is breathable, durable, and comfortable
- Great balance of style and performance
- Available at most golf retailers
2. Skechers Women’s Max
Matt Kuchar helped make Skechers a more well-known golf shoe and no other brand offers more color patterns for women. The Skechers Women’s Max comes in 32 different color options! The laces hold up incredibly well and the tongue provides just enough support for the upper foot.
- Spikeless durable grip helps maximum performance on the course
- One of the lightest golf shoes on the market
- Cheaper than other brands
- Water-resistant for those rainy days on the course
3. ECCO Women’s Biom Hybrid Hydromax
Ecco isn’t as well-known as some other brands but they make a great style of golf shoes for women. These are made from a specialty type of leather called YAK, which lasts longer than other materials. Ecco also employs its Hydromax Technology to help keep your feet dry regardless of the conditions.
- Made from highly durable leather and specialty textiles
- Superior traction on any surface
- Comfortable, flexible, and breathable
- Incredibly stylish
- Helps prevent foot, back, and leg pain
4. Under Armour Women’s HOVR Fade
You just knew a quality brand like Under Armour had to make our list at some point! The Women’s HOVR Fade golf shoes have a simple but fashionable look. This shoe is also very lightweight, which is a staple of all Under Armour footwear.
- UA HOVR technology lets your feet move naturally and gives off a zero-gravity feel that eliminates the impact after a step
- Mesh and foam combine to deliver maximum fit and incredible comfort
- Made with special microfibers that help the shoe breathe well
- 1 year limited waterproof warranty