Despite being an individual sport, golf creates camaraderie.
It is not uncommon for players to encourage one another on the golf course. Naturally, there is also banter where your buddies make fun of you, in the name of gamesmanship and entertainment.
This post provides 25 unique and amusing golf sayings I’ve heard over the years. Some of them are crafted for use on the links, while others help you wish your loved one luck before they head out.
Table of Contents
- 1. Relax, Take It Easy
- 2. Play-Well And Enjoy Your Round
- 3. Forget About Your Last Round, Today Is The One That Counts
- 4. Hunt Those Birdies Today
- 5. Score Low
- 6. Keep It Long And Straight
- 7. Don’t Putt From The Rough
- 8. We Want Bullseyes And Birdies Today
- 9. Keep Bryson On His Toes And Bomb That Driver Today
- 10. Be Like The Big Easy, And Swing Freely
- 11. Don’t Be The Bogey That Lets The Team Down
- 12. Focus On The Positives
- 13. Don’t Come Home If You Record A 3-Putt
- 14. Bring Back The Trophy
- 15. Break 80 Today
- 16. Stay Out Of The Woods Today, Tiger
- 17. The Rest Of The Field Does Not Stand A Chance Against Your Swing
- 18. Every Round Brings You Closer To An Ace
- 19. Don’t Lose Too Many Balls, Remember You Need Two
- 20. Happy Shooting
- 21. If You Prove Yourself In Foreplay On The First 18, There Will Be A Surprise Waiting On The 19th
- 22.There Are Only 18-Holes To Go Before The 19th
- 23. Avoid The Scenic Route And Keep It Straight
- 24. Plug Those Holes With Your Balls
- 25. Play Below Your Handicap
1. Relax, Take It Easy
This is one of my all-time favorites. I was a bit of a hothead when I was a teenager, and one bad shot could ruin my round. So, whenever they saw the frustration building up, they would blurt out the hit song by Mika.
Although I was the butt of the joke, they meant well. After a couple of times, I caught the humor and cracked up laughing. It calmed me down and helped me forget about my previous error shot.
2. Play-Well And Enjoy Your Round
A simple, but polite way of wishing a golfer for the round ahead. It is probably the most common phrase I have heard golfers use on the first tee box. You can also use it to wish your loved ones before they leave home for the links.
3. Forget About Your Last Round, Today Is The One That Counts
Use this phrase to encourage a buddy who is struggling with form. Golf is a harsh game, and when you are unconfident, it is difficult to gain any momentum. Take your friend’s mind off any past results and get them to focus on the task at hand for a more enjoyable round.
4. Hunt Those Birdies Today
Send your loved one off to the golf course with maximum confidence. Help your golfer think about making birdies to shave strokes off their game.
5. Score Low
If you are a person of few words, this is all a golfer needs to hear. Before they tee off, tell them to score low and send, and your job is done.
6. Keep It Long And Straight
Get your mind out of the gutter. You can tell your family member how you want them to play their round. It also works for playing partners to encourage distance and accuracy on par 5 holes.
7. Don’t Putt From The Rough
I am not referring to Matt Damon’s interpretation of the meaning in Good Will Hunting. Instead, I point to the Yakuza rules prohibiting the use of a putter off the green. This phrase encourages golfers to improve their greens in regulation for more birdie putts.
Most casual golfers struggle to get up and down when their approach shot finishes off the green. That leads to inflated scores and epic frustration.
8. We Want Bullseyes And Birdies Today
A friendly phrase to encourage your playing partners. The Bullseyes refer to accurate shots which go a long way to producing birdies.
9. Keep Bryson On His Toes And Bomb That Driver Today
You can use this phrase to encourage golfers to maximize their distance off the tee. It references the long-hitting skills of PGA Tour star Bryson DeChambeau.
10. Be Like The Big Easy, And Swing Freely
Invigorate your playing partners to induce a fluid swing to accelerate clubhead speed, and improve the consistency of the strike. The phrase cites the smooth swing of South African Ernie Els.
11. Don’t Be The Bogey That Lets The Team Down
This phrase is made for your mate who is always late, causing you to forfeit your tee time. Let them know that the team depends on them to show up on time.
12. Focus On The Positives
Another phrase that helps those friends struggling for form. When nothing goes your way, it is hard to be positive. However, it is the only way to enjoy your round. If you see a buddy beating themselves up over a bad shot, tell them to focus on good points.
13. Don’t Come Home If You Record A 3-Putt
Maybe your loved one responds well to tough love. Force them to perform with the flat stick by telling them not to return if they record a 3-putt.
14. Bring Back The Trophy
An old and simple yet effective saying. When a family member is playing in a tournament, you can cheer them on by telling them to bring back the trophy.
15. Break 80 Today
16. Stay Out Of The Woods Today, Tiger
We all have those buddies who consistently slice or hook their ball into the woods. That means the rest of us have to help them find it, wasting precious time on every hole. Give your playing partner some tough love on the first tee and push them to stay out of the Woods.
17. The Rest Of The Field Does Not Stand A Chance Against Your Swing
Increase your playing partners’ confidence by complementing their swing. Let them know that nobody can compete with it.
18. Every Round Brings You Closer To An Ace
Amateurs live for the day they will card their first ace. Unfortunately, not everyone achieves it. Give your family member something to work towards by pushing for that elusive hole-in-one.
19. Don’t Lose Too Many Balls, Remember You Need Two
This is for the naughty girlfriend or wife. If your partner loses loads of golf balls every round, give him a piece of your mind, and make him work harder to not lose any.
20. Happy Shooting
A simple phrase designed to wish a golfer an enjoyable day out on the links. This is typically used by playing partners before teeing off on the 1st.
21. If You Prove Yourself In Foreplay On The First 18, There Will Be A Surprise Waiting On The 19th
Another phrase for the mischievous golfer’s wife or girlfriend. Incentivize their performance by offering a prize when they return home. However, if they do not perform, let them know that there is no consolation prize.
The 19th hole typically refers to the bar, but in this context, your partner will want to skip the bar and head home to you.
22.There Are Only 18-Holes To Go Before The 19th
You can throw this phrase out to your booze-hound friends who need some encouragement to get through a round sober.
23. Avoid The Scenic Route And Keep It Straight
This phrase is ideal for encouraging your buddies with an erratic long game. Urge them to stay out of the woods and the thick rough by sending it straight down the fairway. Disclaimer, it is not guaranteed to work and may cause some players to feel increased pressure.
24. Plug Those Holes With Your Balls
A final naughty good luck saying for wives and girlfriends. Encourage your partner to get his golf ball into the hole in as few shots as possible. Ensure he knows that you are referring to golf because it may take his focus away from the game.
25. Play Below Your Handicap
There is nothing clever or deceitful about this saying. It encourages a golfer to shoot lower than their handicap. In layman’s terms, they have a successful day at the office.
Related: Read about our best golf pick up lines if you are searching for a partner who loves the game.